Aerosol cans are used for many purposes around the house and shop. They are not reusable. If they are empty they can be recycled at the locations shown below. If they are not empty, they are considered hazardous waste and should be disposed of at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Eureka.
Try these reduction tips:
Use spray bottles
Many products that are packaged in aerosol cans are also available in non-aerosol spray bottles.
Aerosol cans should be empty and free of pressure. Recycle Aerosol Cans at these locations:
|Arcata Community Recycling Center|
|Eureka Recycling Center|
|Eel River Disposal & Resource Recovery|
You can safely dispose of Aerosol Cans at these locations:
Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) were once often used but since the Montreal Protocol came into force in 1989 they have been replaced, in nearly every country, due to the negative effects CFCs have on Earth's ozone layer. The most common replacements are mixtures of volatile hydrocarbons, typically propane, n-butane and isobutane. Dimethyl ether (DME) and methylethyl ether are also used. All these have the principle disadvantage of being quite flammable.
About 70% of all metal is used just once and then discarded. The remaining 30% is recycled. After five cycles, only one-fourth of 1% of the metal remains in circulation.
Source: Hayes, D. 1978. Repairs, Reuse, Recycling — First Steps Towards a Sustainable Society.Worldwatch Paper 23.
Every year enough energy is saved by recycling steel to supply Los Angeles with nearly a decade’s worth of electricity.
Source: EarthWorks Group. 1990. The Recycler’s Handbook. Berkeley, CA: The EarthWorks Press